Saturday, September 26, 2009

Dear Dad I've gone raw...



The hardest thing about going raw was not giving up my favorite foods. It was telling my Dad! I grew up in a typical Egyptian household. Food was the center of everything. No one was a vegetarian and rice was always served with dinner. We did eat a lot of fruits and vegetables but most of the vegetables were cooked. It was a lot healthier than the standard American diet, but it was still a cooked diet

My son and I went to Florida this past August to visit my Dad and even though I was so excited to see him I was worried about his reaction to my diet. I decided that it would be best to tell him in person and not over the phone.

I didn't have to tell him to buy me any extra fruits and vegetables, because he LOVES buying in bulk. When I got there he had a case of mango and avocados. He also had tons of greens and melons. I knew it was going to be easy for me to make meals at his house.

My father is a great cook, he enjoys thinking of new recipes especially when family comes to visit. We got there at night and my dad had this huge meal on the table. I wasn't at all surprised even though it was 9:30 PM. My son and I ate a small amount and went to bed.

The next morning at breakfast I told him that I started only eating fruits and vegetables during the day and a cooked meal at night. He just said OK. I was so happy that he didn't say anything negative about it. I told him I had a lot more energy eating this way. It made me so happy that he just listened to what I had to say and was positive and supportive.

I had only been high raw for a few weeks at that point so it was scary to get out of my comfort zone and travel. It turned out to be such a great trip, my Dad is so awesome. But I always knew that. I made fresh guacamole everyday at lunch with fresh limes from my Dad's lime tree and herbs from his garden. He took me to an Asian market to buy young cocnuts. It was so easy to be raw at his house.

The airplane ride home turned out to be a success too. I got a huge salad and a few bananas and I was set. It was a great trip and it turned out I was worried for no reason. What else is new?

No comments:

Post a Comment